At first I thought this was some kind of joke, like a Jesus you’d see walking down Hollywood Blvd but no, this guy really believes he’s the reincarnation of Jesus Christ! That’s the first clue that something isn’t quite right with this “Jesus” as reincarnation isn’t even a biblical teaching!
This Jesus actually has another name. It’s 48 year old Sergei Torop and according to various sources he’s a Russian ex-traffic police cop who is also married with six kids, one of whom he adopted from one of the single moms in his commune. Yes, his commune. Yes, he has a wife and kids. Not exactly like Jesus of the New Testament and another clue this may be a fake Jesus. He also has over 5,000 followers and can be found in a remote village near Moscow in Siberia.
After finding himself unemployed, Sergei claims he had an “awakening” and realized that he’s the second coming of Jesus Christ. After his “rebirth” in 1991, he gave himself the name, Vissarion which means “he who give new life.” He now lives in a tiny town when he named “Abode of Dawn” and calls his new religion, “Church of the Last Testament.” Torop even has writings contained in a nine-volume “Last Testament” with 61 commandments – yet another clue of a wanna be Christ.
There are many articles and interviews done of “Vissarion” but the most thorough bit of information I found is from an inteview done by a Washington Post London correspondent name Kevin Sullivan. This interview was done in July, 2007.
The entire interview I won’t reprint here, but click on the link in the last paragraph for the complete details. What I will share are a few highlights that will give us some insight to what this man believes along with scriptures that refute his sayings. (All scripture is the New King James Version unless otherwise noted) Sergei’s quotes are in italics.
Quotes from Jesus of Siberia
- “All people on Earth are the children of one Father.”
False: John 1:12 – But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:
- “Never there existed any Peculiar or most loved people and never they can be.”
False: Deutoronomy 14:2 – “For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth.” (King James Version)
- “When it is necessary, a soul can leave the body and reincarnate again.”
False: Hebrews 9:27 – And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,
- “God Father is everywhere on earth all the time. It means that if even two or three people get together, the true Church of God can naturally appear, even if they know nothing of the Living Word.”
False: Matthew 18:20 – “For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.” (One must know the Living Word of God, Jesus Christ for this to be true)
- “It is not necessary for all people to believe in him, when Living Word comes to earth in a human’s body.”
False: John 8:24 – “Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”
John 14:6 “Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
- “In my nature I’m the Son of God just like all of us. Except for one peculiarity, which allows me to come to earth as his Living Word of God.” (When asked if he believes he’s the Son of God)
False: Matthew 24: 23-24 “Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There!’ do not believe it. For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.”
This man is obviously a false Christ and a false teacher. It’s incredulous that anyone can take him seriously, but many do. And these aren’t unintelligent people as many are educated that have left good jobs disillusioned with life in the city.
But these people are without excuse as the bible gives us plenty of warnings about false teachers and false christs.
What are the signs (or missing signs) of those who claim to be Christ?
- Where are the prints in his hands and feet? Like Christ told doubting Thomas who didn’t believe that Jesus was truly the Christ: John 20:27 “Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”
- The teaching of anything contrary to the bible should be a major, major warning: Galatians 1:6-9 – I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!
- Christ already shared with us how He would return again – the same way He left but this time with a loud sound letting us know He’s arrived! Not the appearance in a tiny village where most people on earth haven’t even heard of him: 1 Thessalonians 4:16 – “For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.”
Acts 1:10-11 – They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”
- Always be aware of anyone trying to add to the Bible or bring about additional revelations as this false christ has tried to do with his “Last Testament.” Revelations 22:18-19 – “I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. 19And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.”
A definite sign of Christ’s return
Let’s always be ready and heed the words of Christ:
“So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the desert,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.” Matthew 24:26-27
Video expose of “Visssarion”
Novel Faiths Find Followers Among Russia’s Disillusioned - The Washington Post
Jesus of Siberia – Prophecy in the News
Jesus of Siberia – The Guardian.co.uk
Ex-Traffic Cop Says he’s Jesus – abcnews.com