“It is inevitable that Christians who would now be described as “liberal” will be the overwhelming majority of Christians in America.” John Shore from his article on The Inevitability of the Rise of Progressive Christianity. This is one of the few statements of John Shore that I actually agree with. Sad, but true – a truth prophesized in God’s word:
Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. 2 Timothy 4:2-4
Well, that time has come beginning in Jesus’ day and growing in numbers each century since. Progressive Christianity (sometimes known as emergence Christianity) is a movement that is swelling in numbers day by day. It is one of the movements behind many churches that now accept homosexuality as normal and allow Gay pastors. It is also a movement that accepts other religions as being acceptable for a relationship with God. It is a movement that downplays many biblical admonitions considering them outdated thus their title as “progressive.” Popularity rules with progressives and not the truth. Societal issues are determined by numbers rather than God’s truth. Inclusivity is the norm and exclusivity is hated.
This aberrant faux Christian movement’s primary scriptures to defend their love for people are found in the Bible and says, “These things I command you, that you love one another.” John 15:17 or “Love your neighbor as yourself,“ Matthew 22:36-40. Because of this love, progressives take this to mean not to offend anyone even if it’s a biblical commandment. The word sin itself becomes offensive to the progressive or at least watered down. And repentance is no where to be found. Spiritual rebirth or regeneration is not necessary to the progressive because all you have to do is “love one another” and God will accept you. Some examples of biblical beliefs that are ignored by progressives and replaced with their own theology are the following:
- Jesus is the only way to God (John 14:6) – progressives believe that Jesus is one of many ways to God
- The Bible is the authoritative Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16) – progressives believe that the Bible shouldn’t be taken literally
- Man must be born-again and saved through God’s grace only (John 3:3 and Ephesians 2:8-9) – progressives believe that one is eventually saved through good works
- Only those who receive Christ can be called children of God (John 1:12) – progressives believe all people are already children of God
- Bible teaches absolute truth and not up to the private interpretation of its writers (John 17:17 and 2 Peter 1:20-21) - progressives believe there is no absolute truth, but whatever your truth is considered the truth.
- We are to make disciples of the whole nation (Matthew 28:19-20) – progressives believe that since only God can draw man to Himself (right), then we are not to be involved in converting people (wrong).
- Homosexuality is a sin (Leviticus 18:22 and Romans 1:26-27) – progressives refuse to believe that the bible even teaches this belief. That somehow the scriptures are misunderstood and taken out of context; or that the admonitions against homosexuality don’t apply to our time.
- God created male and female with different purposes (Ephesians 5:22-33) – progressives believe that there are no boundaries in genders. Women are told not to submit to anyone.
- God created the Universe (Genesis 1:1) – progressives believe evolution is not incompatible to Christianity
- God never changes (Malachi 3:6 and Hebrews 13:8) – progressives believe God’s word changes with societal changes
(This information I gathered about the progressives I found in the various sources listed at the end of this post.)
For a group that thrives on the scriptures that speak of loving one another, why would I say they hate Jesus? Along with their scriptures of loving God and one another, Jesus also makes clear who actually loves him:
“If you love Me, keep My commandments.” John 14:15
“He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.” John 14:21
“You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.” John 15:14
Either you love Christ or you hate Him. Either you’re obeying Him or you’re not. There’s no in between. Progressive Christians are full of disobedience just judging by the list above. Of course by now they may be hollering, “judge not, that ye be not judged.” But don’t they know Christians can judge one another?
“I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person.
For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? But those who are outside God judges. Therefore “put away from yourselves the evil person.” 1 Corinthians 5:9-13
Progressive Christians despise God’s word when it comes to hating sin. They will only talk about God’s love and watch the hate they spew once they find you don’t support their beliefs. But remember God’s warnings regarding false teachers (2 Timothy 4:2-4) and differing gospels:
“I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.” Galatians 1:6-9
I don’t consider progressive Christians true Christians but because they call themselves such then they are admonished as such. But if anyone reading this is a progressive believer, run from it as fast as you can and turn to the true Jesus Christ and His call for repentance and new birth!
“. . . Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” John 3:3
Articles in favor of Progressive Christianity
The Inevitability of the Rise of Progessive Christianity – by John Shore; http://johnshore.com/2011/09/19/the-inevitability-of-the-rise-of-liberal-christianity/
Grassroots Progressive Christianity – Hal Taussig – http://www.sdc.unitingchurch.org.au/WestarProgressiveArticle.pdf
8 Points of Progressive Christianity – From the The Center for Progressive Christianity – http://www.tcpc.org/news/item.cfm?news_id=569
The Progressive Christian Alliance – http://www.progressivechristianalliance.org/Blog/about/
Thruway Christians – http://thruwaychristians.com/about/
Other Articles that counter Progressive Christianity
Fruit of the New Progressive Theology Advanced by the Emerging Church – Ken Silva – http://apprising.org/2010/04/05/fruit-of-the-new-progressive-theology-advanced-by-the-emerging-church/
The Emergent Church is a form of Paganism – John MacArthur – http://www.gty.org/resources/Articles/A277/The-Emergent-Church-is-a-Form-of-Paganism#.To2DI3JSDiE
What is Progressive Christianity, and is it biblical? – Got Questions?.org – http://www.gotquestions.org/progressive-Christianity.html
Jim Wallis, Shane Claiborne and Progressive Christianity – Dave Hunt - http://www.bibleprophecyblog.com/2011/01/jim-wallis-shane-claiborne-and.html