April 11, 2009

Tonex on BET – Another Pulpit Pimp?

by Carlotta Morrow — Categories: Tonex — Tags: , , , , , 17 Comments

tonexOne of the most popular posts on this blog is my August 2008 article titled, “Tonex has 4Gotten God.” Because of the increased exposure from his music (latest album Unspoken) and acting (performed in the play “Dreamgirls”) and his influence on many of our younger people, it’s extremely important that Tonex be examined.

Although he’s had a series of interviews with various TV and magazine hosts and writers, one that caught my attention is his interview with Torrence Glenn on BET.com

When I had written that first post, I had given Tonex the benefit of the doubt that he was a Christian.  I couldn’t judge by his words that he wasn’t one, although his actions were suspect (see post my previous post). I knew he could still be a Christian, just a wayward one perhaps.

But his discussion on BET’s blog titled “The Gospel According to Torrence”  left me with the conclusion that Tonex is just another false teacher/preacher spreading even more confusion to the unlearned and his idol worshippers.  There were plenty more disturbing things to write about him, but the only thing that needed to be addressed was what Tonex thinks about Jesus and salvation.

Torrence did a five part video on his interview with Tonex of which only three of the five parts available as of this post.  The interview was done March 25 of this year with no explanation of the missing parts 4 and 5.

The entire part-three interview is about 6 minutes.  If you don’t wish to hear the whole video you can fast forward to about the -35 mark near the end where Tonex is heard saying:

“I respect all faiths and I’ve studied all faiths.  So you know how can you really understand humankind if your way is the only way?”

I know the way for me, …for me it’s Jesus but for someone else it may not be.  And I’m not going to bash who they are because they don’t believe what I believe.” (video at end of post)

In other words, to understand people must one take the position that Jesus is NOT the only way to God?  His words were far more troubling than his appearance which has him looking more like George Clinton of the Funkadelics than a church pastor.

Tonex appears to ignore Christ’s statement that says:

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.  – John 14:6

Jesus IS the only way to God and yes, that may offend people but the truth sometimes hurt.  If people will ever have the chance to be saved, they must know the truth!

What Tonex doesn’t understand is that the blood Christ spilled for us to save us can not be so easily set aside.  If others can get to God without Christ’s sacrifice, then Jesus would have died in vain!  If anyone wants to minimize Christ’s death, burial and resurrection, then yes, just say that He only died for a few folks and not for everyone!

Tonex is spreading a lie, the belief that Jesus isn’t the only way to God.  Not only is that bad for people who call themselves pastors, but for anyone who calls themselves a Christian.

Tonex also talks about bashing another person’s religion, which for him means that they don’t have to believe in Jesus.  To be respectful of others’ belief systems is to accept that those systems as true.

No Tonex, not bashing others means not to disrespect who they are as individuals, treating them with dignity and kindness.  If you truly care about a person, you will want them saved, thus sharing with them the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Sadly, Tonex is now placed into the category of pulpit pimp as his lifestyle is all about not offending people so that he can make his money.  He made that clear in my first post about how he sang on a Gay sponsored cruise.  His reason for doing so was to “catch a lot of record sales and new fans too!”

At first I was praying for Tonex’s spiritual maturity.  Now my prayer is that Tonex become saved!  I pray for Tonex to understand the price Jesus Christ paid for him and to let that be his motivation to preach the gospel to ALL!

1 Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.

3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures –  1 Corinthians 15:1-4

Video from Bet.com below (see The Gospel According To Torrence Part 3 forum and comments from his readers)

[vodpod id=ExternalVideo.809457&w=425&h=350&fv=playerindex%3D0%26playerid%3Dblogs%26videoid%3D13683%26dartOrd%3Dundefined%26dartString%3Dontv%3Bsub%3Dblogs%3Bn%3DTheGospelAccordingToBlog%3Bserve%3Dtrue]

posted with vodpod

© 2009 – 2011, Carlotta Morrow. All rights reserved.

Print Friendly

17 Comments »

1. Strong Delusion…We should expect this in the last days. Many will depart from the faith.

2. Zi says:

Ahh… say no more, you are the: Legalistic Christian. “I still love you anyway!”

*YAHWEH*

3. Zi says:

Hi Ms. Carlotta,

Being saved is Acts 2:38 & ones Good Faith, Good Works during the duration of your life span. I do however believe that the whole truth was not told in the Bible. When whole facts are not given, it causes everything to go wrong! It actually should be twice as thick.*Just making it simple*

*YAHWEH*

4. Zi says:

Carlotta, I was not “yelling” using all those caps… LOL!

Zi*
    ONE LOVE*

5. Zi says:

Carlotta, “You are not even sure…”

Carlotta says – Zi, it could very well be that he is a child of God – (Zi says – YOU ARE NOT EVEN SURE, HE IS: MORE OVER: James 2:18-20 / Since Christ questions whether even the elect will have the kind of faith He requires, it should be obvious we must grow in faith. Our initial faith toward God has to expand from a tender trust to full-blown conviction. Though we begin by being faithful in little things, we begin to develop the absolute trust required to submit our lives to our Sovereign and Provider without question, equivocation, or wavering.) Carlotta says – but just too busy trying to make money and is shamefully hiding the true gospel so he won’t offend those who will buy his music. His very own words are condemning him right now and it is truly sad to see. (Zi says – TONEX is doing this very well: Matthew 10:32: Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.)(Zi says – ALL PEOPLE ON EARTH DO THIS TOO: John 8:7 – “let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone” WE DO THIS TO EACHOTHER ON A REGULAR? / MORE THAN THAT, IT SINNING ALL THE WHILE.) (THUS, FURTHERING US A ONE WAY TICKET TO A VERY HOT DEATH FOR LIFE.) (The way a person dresses or looks does not even make their DNA.) TONEX is praising GOD, with the many gifts he blessed him with… Simple as that.) (If you want to get technical: People judge human nature to be a mixture of good and evil, but that is not acceptable for life in the Kingdom of God! It may as well be totally evil! Is God Himself contaminated, a blend of good and evil? According to I John 3:2, in His Kingdom “we shall be like Him.” We will be purified and uncontaminated as He is. Human nature’s evil mix will not be seen in God’s Kingdom.) (What does that say? It says: NOT ONE WILL REACH GODs TRUE DESINTY)(Lastly: That’s why I whole hearted believe that; Only GOD will know where we will ALL end up; he measures the heart. No matter what and how people perceived US on the earth with their sight…. PERIOD.) (How is that for reality?)

Zi*
    Love witout Judgement People*
    We are ONE BLOOD LINE: 1. HAMITIC, 2. SEMITIC, 3. JAPHETIC

6. [...] I know the way for me, …for me it’s Jesus but for someone else it may not be.  And I’m not going to bash who they are because they don’t believe what I believe.” [Video available here] [...]

7. zi says:

Wow!

Response to Carlotta section on TONEX

Zi – You sound like the very Christians Mr. TONEX speaks of (sickly judge mental and twist words.)

Mr. TONEXs comment: “I respect all faiths and I’ve studied all faiths. So you know how can you really understand human kind if your way is the only way?” I know the way for me, …for me it’s Jesus but for someone else it may not be.  And I’m not going to bash who they are because they don’t believe what I believe.”

Mr. TONEX comments are very easy to understand. Let’s get this clear, Mr. TONEX has never turned his back on Jesus/GOD. He’s just put under a micro scope due to the industry he’s in and his own personal style most people do not get. They should not worry about that, make no difference. It’s his message of up lifting GOD Kingdom period. Mr. TONEX is no different than anyone else who loves his personal relationship with Jesus.

Zi – What he is saying: being that he keeps Jesus first. He will not cast judgment on any other of GODs creations for any reason. For he him self will be judged 10 times as hard. Also, to understand mankinds true nature, you must understand through their eyes. (Their history, how they grew up, what they believe.) Only then can you fully understand WHY people do what they do. You have to be a student in ALL things in life to gain knowledge. I know that is why he is so inventive, creative and a trend setter. GOD gave him a talent from birth only saved for individuals like: Michael Jackson, Prince… Etc. The unfortunate thing is; most people will find some fault in people all the time. When you just need to love with out judgment. Mr. TONEX hit the nail on the head when he said on his London Letters CD / Gentleman’s Gentleman: “I’m all things to all people, just at different times.” If you need help with that? Carlotta, you need to find a formula in how to truly study the DNA of GODs people so you will know what to say rather (Dog, poke and pierce your fellow human.) Be positive!

Zi

8. Pamela says:

I did not watch this video. This seems to be the going thing these days. The love of money is causing many to deny the gospel. This appears to be a clear case of that under the guise of being tolerant. Have mercy.

9. Carlotta
    Twitter: christocentric
    says:

Pamela, it’s oh so sad to see these pastors chase after money. Tonex has made it easy for us to figure him out because he’s been honest enough to practically admit it! Of course he wouldn’t see it that way. But the more money he makes, then the more he’s going to believe that he’s being “blessed by God” and will feel no need to correct his lifestyle. He’s acting, his album is doing well, he’s pastoring and producing others music as well.

Praying for him to slow down and wake up and see what’s truly going on in his life!

10. Carlotta
    Twitter: christocentric
    says:

Zi, Tonex doesn’t like Christians who call him out. He is a false teacher and a false teacher will always appeal to their followers as they are the godly ones and everyone else who speaks against them as evil.

6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! 9As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!

10Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ. Galatians 1: 6-10

Tonex is whitewashing the gospel because he appears to be trying to please all people instead of God. God’s word is strong and the gospel is very clear (shared in my post).

I don’t have to rely upon your explanation for Tonex’s translation because he gave it himself on bet.com. For example, this is his explanation to his statement “I respect all faiths and I’ve studied all faiths. So you know how can you really understand human kind if your way is the only way?” He gave the following response to a commenter who like me questioned his non-belief in Jesus being the only way to God:

Well don’t get twisted I know and you know that Jesus is the way to salvation but God has a way of allowing people to take their own path in search of the truth to finally get TO the truth in which we know to be Jesus. My Lord, folks… please don’t read into to stuff so deeply. Each one of us is on a different path and if a person is searching for the truth of Life and Salvation, God has allowed people to take very strange paths in the bible to ultimately get to the ANSWER which we know is Jesus ( i mean look at Paul for crying out loud LOL).

What in the heck was that coming from a pastor? Another commenter even asked Tonex, “what if people’s truths don’t lead them to Jesus as you say their truths should, can they still be saved?” That’s exactly what I would have asked Tonex. How can a pastor assume that everyone will somehow end up believing in Jesus? And having people seek their “own” paths to God? No, there is only one path to God and that path is through Jesus Christ that many, may not necessarily seek.

3″Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. – Matthew 7:13-14

Zi, it could very well be that he is a child of God, but just too busy trying to make money and is shamefully hiding the true gospel so he won’t offend those who will buy his music. His very own words are condemning him right now and it is truly sad to see.

11. gcmwatch says:

Real interesting that you had to translate Tonex’s false revelations. He is dressed like the devil’s clown and his comments sound about like he is dressed. But since he “loves” the Lord and uses his name, so we should be impressed, right?

Im not.

No translation needed.

12. JConroad99 says:

Me and my family, up until recently, were real fans of Tonex. We chose Tonex as one of our favorite artists because of the style of music he makes and the fact that it is the GOSPEL he is singing. I don’t know about you but when you minister(even in song) the “instrument” SHOULD glorify God!!! You can not glorify God in your flesh no matter what the words are. It’s not what goes in, it’s what comes out that defiles him.

13. Carlotta
    Twitter: christocentric
    says:

“Just a note: God did not call us to be positive, he called us to be holy. Heb 12:14, 1 Thess 4:7.”

Exactly!

14. Carlotta
    Twitter: christocentric
    says:

Zi: “What does that say? It says: NOT ONE WILL REACH GODs TRUE DESINTY)(Lastly: That’s why I whole hearted believe that; Only GOD will know where we will ALL end up;”

Are you saying that you’re not sure where you’re going? And what do you mean that ‘not one will reach God’s true destiny?’

I’m trying to figure out where you are first before deciphering the rest of your message.

15. Zi says:

1. To answer your question; on a personal level, I know where I stand with GOD.

2. I apologize Carlotta for you not understanding, I obviously did not word it correctly. I will break it down: The Bible (King James Version) in particular. GODs words are very clear in Revelation 3:16 – So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. Meaning, we are either ALL for GOD or nothing at all. That being written and that be the case? Then not one person will enter heaven. GOD knows we are ALL going to fall short of his glory on a daily basis.

So, we live; believe by “Faith” in Jesus and the Good “Works” of our lives: James 2:20 – But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead. Having faith is key; working it is topping on the cake: Before Christians have faith, one must understand in whom and in what one has faith in. Without understanding the scriptures with an open mind, there cannot be true faith. Understanding is built on the foundation of the community of believers: the understanding of the scriptures and traditions of the community of believers and on personal experiences of the believer with learning the teaching of Jesus.

*YAHWEH*

16. Carlotta
    Twitter: christocentric
    says:

(Going Off topic- for an important reason!)

Zi, you are quite correct that we would all fall short of God’s glory. But what do you mean when you said, “So, we live; believe by “Faith” in Jesus and the Good “Works” of our lives:”

Do you believe we are saved according to Faith + works? Or do you believe we are saved by Faith in Jesus ONLY as evidenced by our good works?

17. Carlotta
    Twitter: christocentric
    says:

Zi, anyone who believes that the whole truth was not told in the bible and that more should be added to it, leaves me to question their whole doctrinal position in Christ. Especially when salvation through faith ONLY in Christ is not enough for one to be saved as you’ve stated in your comment.

Well, you’ve finally answered the question I’ve been asking about you and that’s where you stand biblically on major issues such as salvation and even your (un)belief in God’s word.

© 2014 Christocentric All rights reserved - Mobile View - Powered by WordPress and Wallow - Have fun!