If you’ve seen the Lexi Show interview with gospel singer/pastor Tonex, you would have witnessed a very intriguing albeit disturbing display of a man trying biblically to justify his homosexuality while clinging to the title of Christian pastor. Tonex’s coming out and letting the world know that he’s now a practicing homosexual has caught many who are familiar with his music off guard. There are many who’ve suspected his homosexuality and of course those who know the truth quite well because of their relationships with Tonex.
But I have witnessed much conversation over the Internet and in live conversations about Tonex and those talks can be categorized by the following:
- Many are critical of those of us who dare judge Tonex
- Many have resorted to name-calling describing Tonex’s new public lifestyle
- Many homosexuals and homosexual supporters have embraced Tonex even moreso now for “keeping it real”
- People are more critical of Tonex being a pastor of a church than anything else
- And the number of Christians who have declared God’s word to follow rather than follow after men has been very pleasing to see
Summarizing the lessons shared with people by myself and others are these: (all scripture is New King James Version unless otherwise noted)
- Homosexuality is strictly forbidden and there is no way to ever justify it: Old and New Testament: Leviticus 18:22 and Romans 1:26-28
- We should never allow any form of sexual immorality rule our bodies but use our bodies for righteousness: Romans 6:12-13, 1 Corinthians 6:18-20
- Judging is commanded by God’s word for us to do to other Christians – not to unbelievers! And if the believer is unrepentant to disassociate ourselves from that defiant Christian: 1 Corinthians5:9-13
- We must speak the truth in love – not in harsh name calling or ill treatment: Ephesians 4:15
- We must sometimes rebuke publicly: 1 Timothy 5:20
- Don’t wait upon God to change us; we must simply obey God. It is our OWN DESIRES that lead us into temptation and sin: James 1:13-15
- When sin continues without repentance and God’s word used to justify it – that person’s mind becomes reprobate: Romans 1:28 (KJV)
So, can you be a Christian and practice homosexuality?
There are those who are struggling with the sin of homosexuality, who have asked Christ into their lives to save their souls. These people are quite repentant and I do consider Christians. So yes, it’s quite possible to be committing the sin of homosexuality and still be a Christian.
A Christian is a person who: (See my section on How to be Born Again for full details!)
- has acknowledged their sin (Romans 3:23)
- desires to change because they recognize it’s the sin that separates them from God – repentance (Romans 6:23)
- believes in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ for their salvation (Romans 10:9)
A Christian is NOT a person who’s already “arrived” but a sinner, needing saved!
But people who practice homosexuality with NO repentance and even trying to use the scriptures to justify their abominable acts are clearly NOT CHRISTIANS! They are defiant and of a reprobate mind. But we must continue to pray that they do trust and believe in Christ before they die!
So that’s it in a nutshell about this whole thing of homosexuality while calling oneself a Christian. Tonex has shown me enough (in all three of my posts about him) that it’s highly possible he isn’t even a Christian. But I’ll leave the ultimate judging of one’s soul to God!
Video added 1/25/13
Ravi Zacharias Answers Question if one can be Christian and Homosexual
© 2009 – 2013, Carlotta Morrow. All rights reserved.