The iProtect.com rally was a truly awesome event. Awesome speakers, music and the content of course, informative and spiritually uplifting!
Although I nearly missed it with a blown tire as I was exiting the I-5 freeway ramp to the church, I was still able to make the event. My tire had shredded and I came to a halt right before the protective banisters design to keep people from hitting the concrete wall.
As I was on the phone calling my roadside assistance, the highway patrol came and checked on me since I was near a very dangerous part of the freeway. They called their freeway support that came to my aid (I canceled mine) about 30 minutes later. Fortunately, since I was working for the event and had to be there two hours before, I was still able to get to church in decent time with decent parking especially. The place was nearly filled already!
Anyways, here is a review of what I got out of this event, summarizing what the speakers talked about. This whole event can be seen through mp3′s and on the iProtect link below.
The event started (now, this is only my synopsis and with me working, I missed bits and pieces of it all) with great music by the Katina’s (who ROCKED the church!) and a great sermon by Pastor Miles on marriage. He touched on Genesis 2:18 how the Lord had to find a helper suitable for his creation called “man.” He broke this down superbly and if anyone had a question on God’s intent for marriage after this, then they truly do hate God!
Next came the panel of guests who took on questions that were taken from people and produced electronically on big screens. Here are the questions that were presented and a background on the answers. Again, iProtect.com will have mp3s and other media for last night’s presentation.
The Questions posed to the panel experts:
- “Same-sex marriage doesn’t affect me so why should I be against it?”
Sean McDowell tackled that question by stressing that if Proposition 8 doesn’t pass, the whole nation will be affected! He said: “If same-sex marriage stands in California, we will see a domino affect throughout the country and the social re-engineering of marriage will have profound implications for every single one of our lives!” (more on website)
- “You’re trying to impose your religion, what about separation of church and state?”
Greg Koukl tackled that question by starting off with: “The phrase separation of church and state never appears in the constitution at all.” Greg goes on to explain how the first amendment had been taken completely out of context.
- “Heterosexuals have the right to get married according to their orientation, but homosexuals – why shouldn’t they have the same right?”
Yvette Schneider responded to that question by saying, “If sexual orientation were the basis of which we can get married, then it becomes wide open to any sexual orientation of any type of relationship.” (not exact words)
- “Half of marriages end up in divorce, so why not allow same-sex marriages? Maybe they’ll do better statistically.”
Pastor Miles was quick to chastise us heterosexuals for failing our marriages and extended the challenge for us to work on our marriages. “Shame on us!” he said. Sean McDowell added that we don’t fix bad marriages by creating even badder marriages (my translation.) He said we don’t socially re-engineer and change the nature of marriage just because heterosexuals are failing at theirs! Greg Koukl added that “Marriage isn’t broken, people are broken!”
- “Isn’t it true that kids need a loving family regardless whether its a mother or father?”
Greg Koukl responded by explaining the merits of having a mother AND a father.
- “If you care about your gay friends, you would want them to be happy and that might mean being able to marry the person they love. So telling them they can’t be married isn’t very loving is it?”
Sean McDowell presented an accurate view on truly loving your friends. Pastor Miles shares also about true friendship.
Well, this was just a very brief summary of what I heard at the Fine Line event last night. I urge you all if you haven’t already to get the mp3 and whatever else iProtectmarriage has available of this event! And especially if you want to make comments about it below. You are fair game if you make a comment about the event and didn’t listen or watch it at all!
So check it out and come on back so we can talk about it!
10/1/08: This is the rally in favor of Proposition 8 being hosted by Pastor Miles McPherson of the Rock Church San Diego today at 7pm. Livestreaming can be found by clicking on this link: The Fine Line – iProtectMarriage.com
I’ll be working at the rally but thankfully I don’t have a pic of myself anywhere so NO ONE will be able to see me! Whoo Hoo! But this should be great and I’ll have my response to the rally posted here afterwards.
Here is a line up of some of the participants along with a special message by Pastor Miles:
* Rock groups the Katinas and Stellar Kart
* Ron Luce of Teen Mania, a youth outreach organization
* Sean McDowell, a youth oriented Christian apologist (son of the great apologist Josh McDowell)
* Greg Koukl of Stand to Reason, an organization that trains Christians to think clearly about their faith
* Yvette Schneider of Exodus International, a nonprofit, interdenominational Christian organization promoting the message of freedom from homosexuality through the power of Jesus Christ
* Brian Sumner and Christian Hosoi, skate pros; and
* Kyle Loza, pro freestyle motocross rider and X Games gold medalist
© 2008, Carlotta Morrow. All rights reserved.